Saturday, May 14, 2011

Boys and Spiders

While the boys were eating their vitamins this afternoon, I came over with a jumping spider hanging by it's web from a sock. Of course, everyone, (except mom) was interested in seeing this fuzzy little creature. First we put him into one of our insect containers, but he wasn't moving around much, (probably as a consequent to me hitting it a few times with the sock before showing it off to everyone.)

This isn't the one I caught.
So, I took him out of the container, again, holding him by his thread. He was hanging just a few inches above the kitchen table's surface. By this time, Mom came over to watch hoping to ensure that the spider didn't get away. Not that she herself would really be able to do anything to prevent it from getting away, she just would be able to - shall we say - strongly encourage other people to kill it for her.

Well, while he is dangling from his web just a few inches above the surface of the table and I was contemplating what to do with him, Daniel gets the fabulous idea to try and make me drop him by purposefully bumping my hand. Before I could do anything, it swings over to my right toward Mom and lands on John's head. He knew it was there, but because he had vitamin's in his mouth at that very moment he couldn't scream or yell - or make any sort of boisterous tumult to get someone attention to help him out. His solution? Before anyone could stop him, he whipped around and sprinted toward his bedroom. Seeing the spider fall to the white linoleum floor just as John jumped off the bench, we all burst into fits of laughter. Apparently, the poor little guy, John that is - not the spider - choked a little on his vitamins but he is alright now. I ended up giving the spider to the dogs, though they didn't seem too enthused about it. I guess it just goes to show that boys and spiders don't mix well - or do they??

2 comments:

James said...

How big was it?

Therese said...

About as big as a dime, I'd say.