Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Coutnry Livin'

Isn't it amazing how many different kinds of animals God made for us? Imagine
how boring the world might be if we no longer had them.

I have see quite the variety today. I was walking through the northeastern pasture when I heard very loud buzzing sound like a bug stuck upside down and flapping it's wings. I looked to the ground not two feet from my shoes and saw the end of a small black cord that was shaking profusely. I followed with my eyes down the black cord and discovered it was a 5 foot long black snake! He was about 2 inches in diameter and he did not like me.

I thought about catching him, but at the time I had only a pocket knife, a rosary, and my bare hands. Besides, if I had tried to catch him under those circumstances, and I posted about it, I might hurt Jake's intelligence, and I wouldn't want to hurt anyone but myself. (That's not to say I like hurting myself.)

A couple hours later, I went blackberry hunting. I went into the north pasture, bringing with me a glass jar. (Not exactly the ideal kind for berry-picking, but I didn't have much to choose from.) I came to a place where the bushes were really thick, and immediately heard a rustling sound in two of them. It did not sound like a little critter! Then as if just to embarrass me in front of myself, out springs two little fawns. Ha ha. I so felt like darting after them, but I wasn't expecting them, and I had a glass jar in my hands, and by the time I thought of it, there was no way I could catch them. But, I did find some good blackberries. And there are a lot of others that are not ripe yet. So, perhaps I will catch them next time.

Before I was done picking (or really, searching,) for blackberries, I went to another pasture. I didn't expect to find many berries there, and I didn't; I found something MUCH better. Again, I heard a rustling, but  was further away, and when I looked I thought I saw the back end of a rabbit that was moving away from me, but it looked really weird. So, I went toward it and saw that it was really a fox!!!

As far as I could tell it was a grey fox; like these.
It was really cool. I ended up seeing the same fox again, later when I went back into the pasture to look for some fawns. But I didn't see anymore fawns....yet.

P.S. I wasn't able to get the fox to hold still long enough for a pose, so I took these from the Internet. Yeah, I know, I am a cheater. Hee hee.

7 comments:

James said...

that is very cool. i'm jealous.

bridget said...

You are so cute, girl!

And you must remember that Jake has lots of intelligence, so if you hurt a little bit of it, he'll have plenty left ;-)

Therese said...

Thanks, and that is a good point, Bridget.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the fawns ate all the ripe blackberries and the fox ate the fawns. Lol... I'm mostly kidding. :)

That really is awesome though. It sounds like you had quite the adventure.

Jacob X. Mason said...

HEY!

Jacob X. Mason said...

And for the fawns, you should have gone back and gotten a bigger glass jar.

Therese said...

LOL! You come up with such good ideas!