June 11th, 2007
After the Heffernans left, my family started talking about how we could surprise them. Mike was already planning on going up in July and we decided it would be best if we came on the weekend he was there. So, Mom came up with this plan: Mike would arrange a treasure hunt for Moira in which the whole family would participate and we would be hiding in the garage where one of the clues was hidden!
June 23rd, 2007
Mr. Heffernan called Dad and invited us to celebrate the Fourth of July with them. Dad told all of us about the invitation and also told us that the Heffernan kids knew about it (they were in the car when Mr. Heffernan called). We all decided pretty quickly that we wanted to go along with our plan instead. So, Dad had us all beg him to let us go and he called Mr. Heffernan back. Dad told him that we had a ton of stuff we had to do, that he wished we could come up and that we begged him, but to no avail. He also said, "You should have seen their faces," of course, Mr. Heffernan didn't know that we were all beaming.
So, Mike and I started working on the clues. We decided to have three quotes from different movies and you try to guess what movie each is from. From there you use the numbers underneath the quote to figure out what letters in the title are being used. Once you do that with all of the quotes, you unscramble all of the letters you uncovered and voila! there's the name of the room that the next clue is in.
Here is the first one out of five -- see if you can figure it out.
Clue 1 of 5
“I love our family!” (2, 5, 8)
After the Heffernans left, my family started talking about how we could surprise them. Mike was already planning on going up in July and we decided it would be best if we came on the weekend he was there. So, Mom came up with this plan: Mike would arrange a treasure hunt for Moira in which the whole family would participate and we would be hiding in the garage where one of the clues was hidden!
June 23rd, 2007
Mr. Heffernan called Dad and invited us to celebrate the Fourth of July with them. Dad told all of us about the invitation and also told us that the Heffernan kids knew about it (they were in the car when Mr. Heffernan called). We all decided pretty quickly that we wanted to go along with our plan instead. So, Dad had us all beg him to let us go and he called Mr. Heffernan back. Dad told him that we had a ton of stuff we had to do, that he wished we could come up and that we begged him, but to no avail. He also said, "You should have seen their faces," of course, Mr. Heffernan didn't know that we were all beaming.
So, Mike and I started working on the clues. We decided to have three quotes from different movies and you try to guess what movie each is from. From there you use the numbers underneath the quote to figure out what letters in the title are being used. Once you do that with all of the quotes, you unscramble all of the letters you uncovered and voila! there's the name of the room that the next clue is in.
Here is the first one out of five -- see if you can figure it out.
Clue 1 of 5
“I love our family!” (2, 5, 8)
“You keep talkin’ to yourself, people’ll think you’re crazy.” (2, 4)
“That’s what my mom is always saying, I just never actually believed her!” (5, 7)
“That’s what my mom is always saying, I just never actually believed her!” (5, 7)
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ _t_
Ready for the answer?
Clue 1 of 5 Answer
“I love our family!” (2, 5, 8) Incredibles
Ready for the answer?
Clue 1 of 5 Answer
“I love our family!” (2, 5, 8) Incredibles
“You keep talkin’ to yourself, people’ll think you’re crazy.” (2, 4) Cars
“That’s what my mom is always saying, I just never actually believed her!” (5, 7) Spiderman 2
“That’s what my mom is always saying, I just never actually believed her!” (5, 7) Spiderman 2
nebasem
basement
July 12, 2007
Mike left on July 10th and flew to Illinois to spend a week with the Heffernans. We left at around 1:00 am on Thursday, and arrived in Springfield at about 6:30 pm. We had arranged with Mike that he was going to start the treasure hunt in the dining room at 7:00 , but he called and said it was delayed until 7:30. So, at 7:15 we creeped into the alley behind their house and Chris watched their dining room for treasure hunt activity.
Our signal to move into the garage was when everyone had gone into the basement for the second clue. We were all hiding behind their garage, which is separated from the house, when all of a sudden we heard footsteps in the backyard. As they came closer and closer everyone held their breath to see who might emerge from the side of the garage. It was... Mr. Heffernan! We all let out deep sighs and greeted him, smiling from ear to ear. He had come out to get his mom since she was joining them for the treasure hunt (she lives on the other side of the alley). After we said hi, Mr. Heffernan and Grandma Heffernan went inside and we waited for the sign.
Chris, who was looking through some bushes into the dining room, told us that a few people were in the dining room and that more were coming. Soon, everyone was gathered together and Mike read the rules from an old-map-like instruction sheet and the hunt began. Chris then relayed to us that the hunting group was going into the basement. We then sneaked into the garage, closed the electric door and waited. Mom had John in their car, which was parked inside. A few minutes later, the garage door opened about 3-feet worth then stopped! We all thought that John was stepping on some buttons or something but we learned afterwards that Mr. Heffernan had a controller in his pocket and was teasing us. Isn't he sneaky? And he did this two times!!
After a while we heard voices and knew that the treasure hunters had arrived. The door opened and you should have seen their faces. Everyone gave each other hugs and laghed and smiled and had E.T.M.F.
After some of the commotion had died down, Mike asked all of the Lawlesses to line up for a picture and he said, "I would like to introduce you to the future Mrs. Heffernan! I mean, Mrs. Lawless!" and then he held up her ring.
7 comments:
Again, I am amazed at how condensed that story is written down. I think it took 3 separate phone calls to get the whole story from you! Not that I minded talking to you in the slightest ;) Say "hi" to everybody for me!
Well, how long were the first two phone calls? I've noticed that when I write a story, I rewrite it and edit it so that in the end it is much more concise and to the point, but hopefully still interesting. When I tell a story verbally that does not happen.
I think the first one was approx. 5 min and the other one was about 15. The third one, I think, lasted about an hour.
Well, the first one doesn't count. I barely had time to say, "Hi, Mike and Moira are engaged and we surprised the Heffernans. Goodbye."
The second one allowed me to add that Mike proposed in a church, a description of Moira's ring, everyone's reaction and to say that I had to go and that I could talk later.
Anyway, I'm glad it took so long because I love talking to you.
No regrets on my part either! I just like teasing you. I guess a little lawlessness has rubbed off on me. Oh, dear!
Did he hold up her hand with the ring on her finger? Or did he hold up the ring by itself?
He held up her left hand.
Post a Comment