Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Future Mr. and Mrs. Lawless

Michael, Michael picked out the perfect band,
Went to Mr. H and pled for Moira's Hand.
In the Church he did the asking,
Her answer was everlasting.
They'll be man and wife as they start their new life,
And raise their family.


July 11th, 2007

Mike had made an appointment with Mr. Heffernan, unbeknownst to anyone else. Since he had come in the night before, and they didn't allow liquids on the plane, he went out to get some shampoo. While on the way, he stopped for lunch, where Mr. Heffernan was going to meet him. There he asked for his daughter's hand in marriage and Mr. Heffernan said yes. On the way back to the house, he stopped at the store and bought some shampoo.

July 12th, 2007

Mike and Moira were on their way to dinner, when Mike asked if they could stop by the church first, since they hadn't had much time to pray together. Moira said that it was alright but that it probably wasn't open. Mike, of course, knew that one of the doors was unlocked, having previously arranged it with Father Hoefler, the pastor. They checked the front and it was locked and they went around the side to the Blessed Sacrament Chapel and the door opened. Mike led Moira to a pew and as she went in he took her hand and had her sit. Then he knelt down in the aisle facing her and recited a poem. At the end he took out a black box from his pocket, opened it and said, "Moira Elizabeth Margaret Philomena Heffernan, will you be my wife?" And she said, looking straight into his eyes and not at the box with the shiny object, "Yes."

Then he asked her if she wanted to see the ring and she said she did. I'll describe it at the end.

They stayed in the church for a little bit and Fr. Hoefler came by, gave them a blessing and congratulated them. Then they had dinner and went back to the house. When they came inside Mike said, "Dad, I'm home!"

The ring has nine diamonds. Three larger ones in the middle and three smaller ones on each side. Here is a diagram of the symbolism of the ring. The ring itself is white gold (gold mixed with some silver substance). Representing God the Father (gold), God the Son (silver) and God the Holy Spirit (the mixture of the two).




8 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice diagram, Shelle Belle ;)

Therese said...

Thank you, cmlynch1.

Unknown said...

When I told Bridget that you had put a diagram of the ring up, she goes, "Wow, she actually drew it?" It was like she didn't believe me or something.
I hear she purchased her dress. Bridget said that she wants to put long sleeves on it. Now, maybe it's just me, but I would not want to be wearing a long sleeved dress during the month of July in hot and humid Chicago. Would you?

Therese said...

I don't know. I could see myself wanting long sleeves no matter what time of the year. Different styles of sleeves are also a factor in whether it's hot or not. All of the buildings she'd be in have A/C anyway.

Unknown said...

Wait a second -- I have theological alarm bells sounding in my head. "Her answer was everlasting"??? First off, an engagement promise is not a vow, and can be broken off without causing any moral implications. Second, even wedding vows aren't everlasting. There will be no marriage or giving in marriage in Heaven. Do you want to explain yourself? ;)

Unknown said...

Hey there. Have you ever thought of making a Facebook? It's an excellent way of keeping in touch. The home schoolers down here almost have their own little group. For example, I am in touch with all the Ryans, Michaela, Joey, Meghan, Drew, Ruth, Ian, Rebecca, Mr. Schloeder, Mrs. OBJ, and Emily.

Therese said...

Good question! Her answer was everlasting in that she will never retract it(one definition of everlasting is "lasting for a long time").

Mike and Moira's engagement or betrothal is rather different than what we are used to. Although it is not bound by vows, it is bound by promises. I am not sure if they are morally binding or not, but it is still very strong.

That's as good as I can explain it. Mike could probably give you a much better answer.

Therese said...

Yes, I have thought of signing up on Facebook, but I'm not quite convinced of its safety. Anyway, I probably would not sign up until I turned 18 so I would not have to be part of a group.