Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Adventures of the Weekend

There has been a request, from someone I will not mention, that I tell a story about a certain person you all know.

The date: May 21, 2010. Time: 5:30 pm. Place: Our front yard.

As most of you probably know, Jake came to our house with Michelle and Chris and have been staying with us for a couple days. He said he had never ridden a horse before and this was a good opportunity for him to do so.

We caught the horses (Keara and Brego) and saddled them up; an English saddle on Keara, and an Australian saddle on Brego. Keara's filly we locked up in the large pasture, not more than 100 yards from the house. Jake got on Brego while a young lady fearlessly on to our mare, Keara.

The young lady..ahem..wishes to (if possible) be even remotely anonymous, because she has already told some rather embarrassing stories about herself recently, and although it may be excellent for her humility, it may not have such a good effect on her sanity. But now, at least you get a complete set of humiliating stories about someone you all know.

Keara so far was doing just fine. No weird movements; she wasn't spooking; nothing that would make anyone apprehensive about her.


Side note: I rode her a couple days ago for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours and she was fine the whole time excluding a short couple bucks when I first got on her. (End of side note.)

The young lady (we'll call her something random: Rebbecca) walked her around a bit and started trotting. Walked her some more, and then all of a sudden.....Boom! Bang! Pow! Whap! Zing! (In happened in a very fast sequence.) Keara started bucking like nothing else. Rebbecca couldn't hold on...Whoop-eeeeeeee......SLAP!!! She hit the ground hard.

But wait, Look! She's getting up....She's amazing!! There she goes, after Keara with a confidant and determined air. Then she led her back up toward the house and asked Chris to get a helmet for her; he willingly complied.

Then again Rebbecca got on that horse, this time much more prepared for the consequences. But....Keara, finding out that she got her way once, was shooting for a second time. Walk, walk, walk......Boom! Bang! Pow! Whap! Zing! Keara was bucking harder this time! Rebbecca is staying on! And now she is flying through the air to a glorious end!!!!!!

She did a fantastic roll as she hit the ground and jumped up onto her feet. She was holding her wrist. Again she went and caught THAT mare, and led her toward the house. All this time, Jake and Chris were looking on, prepared to do what they could to help. They asked her if she was alright, and she said she was; all was but her wrist. Rebbecca started leading Keara toward them. "Hey, (_ _ _ _ _)(Chris said a name, and it wasn't Rebbecca)Do you mind if I try?" "Not at all, Chris. Be my guest," she said, still holding her wrist. She decided she shouldn't try again because of it.

So, now it was Chris' turn. It was about this time that I suggested switching saddles, because Keara was in an English (which has no horn), but western and Australian saddles are designed for breaking in horses. So, we switched saddles.

Into the saddle Chris went. Walk, walk, walk, there she goes again!! She's bucking toward the fence!! The saddle is falling off!! Chris flew in front of Keara's head and landed on his chest on the top of the fence. Boing!!! Fortunately, when we put up that fence we were very inexperienced in doing that work, and the fence has never been as tight as it should be.

So, when Chris landed on it; it acted more like a spring than anything else. Chris would have stayed on Keara were it not for the saddle falling off. but by this time, Keara's saddle was on her side instead of her back. Chris had caught her by her rains. We all came to the agreement that Chris would ride her once more and stop riding her even before she started bucking again, so that we get the last word, (or something like that.) Chris got on and got off shortly after. WE WON!!!! Hee hee!!

Fortunately, the only injury was a sprained wrist and it was received by me; that brave and fearless rider...... (Ooooops, did I slip?? You guy don't know it was me right?) Hee hee. Alright, I'll admit it now, whole heartedly. I am Rebbecca, AKA Katie, but in this case perhaps my Godfather's nickname for me is more appropriate; Crazy Eddie. Doesn't that suite me perfectly? Or maybe a different one, 44 (like the gun, 44 mag.)given to me by one of my friends around here.

And as for Jake, I don't think he will ever let me forget how well he rode. He kept teasing me again and again, knowing how much I love being teased about all sorts of things. I say...he did an awesome job in staying on that wild, wild horse I let him ride. JK!! It wasn't wild. But who knows? Considering how he stayed on his horse, he may make the best rider of us all yet!! (Hee hee. Hi, Jake!)
Again, I would have taken some pictures of the situation, but Mom still had the camera at the time, and for some reason, lately I have been having trouble being in more than one place at the same time. Haha!

9 comments:

bridget said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha (etc.)
I'm still laughing...
heeheeheehee (etc.)
I'm glad you're okay, darling
I'm just imagining this whole thing... you bound and determined, Chris springing off of fences, Jake being very well satisfied with himself. I can picture it so very clearly, probably because I've seen all of those things before :D
love you!

Therese said...

How true, how true!!! Reading your comment makes me bust up, too!!!

Jacob X. Mason said...

A fairly accurate rendering, Miss Katie. That was enjoyable--especially the parts about me calming wild beasts.

I hope your wrist improves!

Therese said...

Why, Thanks, Mr. Jake!

I should make a point of inviting you over anytime I have a problem with my animals, but were I to do that, think of how many messages you would have from me?!

As for my wrist, it is doing a lot better already, I am not using the icepacks anymore and I am using the brace a lot less.

P.S. I am curious to know, (although I know I am asking for it, but have a feeling I won't really regret asking,)where does the only 'fairly accurate' part come in? Haha!

Jacob X. Mason said...

Oh, it was reasonably accurate, I just didn't want to commit to it absolutely one way or another. ;)

Jacob X. Mason said...

And why is your name Kay Lea?

Therese said...

John used to call me that, that's how I got it. I like being called Lea especially; I am not sure why.

Besides, 'Katie' everyone knows that name. It would be kind of boring to keep seeing 'posted by Katie...', 'posted by Katie...' all the time. Now at least we can be talking about why I use Kay Lea as my name. It's is rather unique, don't you think?

Why do you ask? Any other suggestions?

James said...

Rebbeca or Trouble

Therese said...

Trouble? But that's Michelle's name. I wouldn't use her name, you know that. Not like some people I know. Haha.

And if I use Rebecca, how will people know it's me?