Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Wait There's More......

Since my last post about the fire our excitement hasn't as over as we anticipated it to be.

Dad and I were up until 2:00am last night checking another, or rather, a continuation of the last fire. There was a glow to the North-west at about 10:00pm and as the winds were blowing away from us, and it was already a considerable distance away, it was not likely to be a problem.

Around 12:00pm Dad and I went fire-hunting in the van. Around 11:50pm, after we got back home, we could see flames in the woods high up on the hill and farther to the west than on Easter. Dad got the tractor out and I saddled up Brego again. We went up the telephone poll easement and headed west along our property fence line at the top of the ridge. We could see it from where we were and all the was to the corner of our property. The line of the fire was running east to west and was about 100 yds from out fence line. Again it seemed mainly grass fires and wasn't moving fast.

But when Dad and I got back to the house, the winds had change some, and it was heading our way. Mom called the fire department, and our next move was to wait. By this tie it was about 1:30am and since I was not likely to go out again, I started unsaddling Brego.

Then came the rain. There were some huge raindrops and I still had some gates to close that dad and I had gone through. I got pretty wet but I didn't mind. It was rather refreshing.

The fireman came about 5 minutes later and told us he had been watching this fire all night and they expected it to die out soon, especially with the rain.

The glow in the clouds had disappeared and the air had a clean sell of falling rain. And to top it off, we all slept peacefully.

No comments: