Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Summer Just Makes Kids Go Nuts!


Summer can truly drive kids nuts!  My younger siblings are living testimony of it. Certainly, the abundance of having nothing productive to do has its toll.
Right now Marie, Thomas and Daniel are all in the front room trying to sing a song called 'The Mistral Boy.' Thomas and Daniel each have one of the songbooks, while Marie tries to sing from memory. None of them are singing together; they are all on different timings and singing as loud as they can. Thomas keeps going off key and he's starting to sound hoarse from singing so long.
Earlier the boys were so full of energy, I started to play Drill Sergeant. I made them run around the room until they were laughing on the floor and panting hard. Then we played a fierce game of 'Simon says' with an unknown prize for the winner as an incentive to play well and fast. "Simon says, on your stomach!" "Simon says, stand up!" "Simon says, on your stomach!" "Simon says, stand up!" (About 20 times. As you can probably guess, I am Simon....and loving it.) "Now, on the floor and slither like a snake!"
By this time, both Daniel and John were out because they messed up, and Marie and Thomas were the only ones remaining. So, there they were, both slithering and writhing on the floor as much like snakes as they could be considering how they were nearly worn out.

"Simon says, moan and groan like you're dying." It was a hysterical sight, I was almost on the floor wit laughter myself. To any one who could have randomly come in the room to see that must have been shocked and have no idea what was going on. There were two kids moaning and groaning loudly on the floor while continuously writhing on the floor as if in pain but laughing in between every other painful wail.

Finally after I was satisfied with the hilariousness of he situation at their expense, I announced them both winners and said, "Ok! You guys can go have a glass of chocolate milk."  At which they immediately renewed their lamentations, for apparently, after wriggling on the floor for 10 minutes with laughter and groaning pulling on you stomach muscles, the prospect of chocolate milk has no appeal whatsoever. So, after some another burst of energetic giggling went all around, I offered the winners some Gatorade instead. And that hit the spot and since those games, (which did effectively reduce their energy level) I think we all have been less rumbustious; maybe even less nuts....nope. Nevermind.

2 comments: